Monday, December 6, 2010

Cooking a Turkey

I thought I would share something that I learned! I always wondered if it was possible to cook a turkey in a crockpot but I had never tried it because of the size of a turkey- too big to fit in my largest crockpot. We bought a turkey breast which is essentially half a turkey and guess what it fit!!! So I figured I had nothing to loose but everything to gain if my experiment worked. It worked out so well- the turkey was moist and falling off the bones. It was delicious! So if you ever want to have turkey and you get a smaller turkey breast try cooking it in your crockpot- I promise you won't be disapointed!:)

I cooked it for about 8 hours on high because mine was still partially frozen- at first the lid wouldn't go all the way down but as the turkey heated up and it thawed the rest of the way- the lid was closed. I did baste it with butter but I don't know if you really need to-I did have quite a bit in the way of drippings when the turkey was done which I used to make the gravy- it was also delicious! :)

Try it!

No comments: